Congrats to The Turbaned Tornado!
Wow… Just wow. Global Medical would like to congratulate Fauja Singh “The Turbaned Tornado.” At 100 years old he sets a record for the world’s oldest marathon runner by completing the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (42.2km!!) So how does he do it? By reportedly jogging/running at least 12km everyday!
Lesson learned: Staying active will do wonders for your heart.
Now that’s a lesson that we at GMS can stand behind. We understand that not everyone has the time or the ability to run 10+ km every day, but here are a few simple tips to keep your heart in shape:
Healthy heart = healthy diet
- Eat foods rich in beta-carotenes such as carrots, cabbage, winter squash, sweet potatoes and dark leafy greens
- Eat garlic, proven to lower blood pressure
- Try and go easy on milk and cheese
- Monitor your alcohol consumption, too much alcohol can damage your heart muscle
- Give up smoking! The single best thing you can do for your body
Healthy heart = exercise
- Try fun activities such as swimming, jump rope or cycling
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator (every little bit helps)
- Walk, walk and walk some more!