October is…Canada’s Healthy Workplace Month
While some people (okay, the majority of people) are already planning Halloween events, here at Global we are planning to celebrate Canada’s Healthy Workplace Month throughout the month of October.
These days it’s as though there is a theme day or month for everything – National Puppy Day (Mar 23), National Hot Dog Month (July), Bubble wrap Appreciation Day (Jan 31) and so on. There are fun months and there are also important ones like Healthy Workplace Month that promote awareness and taking action.
This month at Global, we are aligning ourselves with the goals of Canada’s Healthy Workplace Month by improving and building upon healthy lifestyle practices, workplace culture, occupational health and safety here in the office.
While we’ve already taken a number of steps to encourage healthy living such as providing fresh fruit to snack on, enacting a Fitness program and taking weekly brainstorming walks, there is always room to try new things.
As a company providing many services in the realm of healthcare, this is a great opportunity to ensure staff are living healthy and rewarding lifestyles at work and home.
Canada’s Healthy Workplace Month website provides a number of excellent resources to get started on healthy living at work. Each week of October has its own theme and focuses on a different aspect of workplace health.
Accompanying each week are suggested activities to help you channel your inner healthy-working self.
We’ve chosen a number of these activities and are encouraging our staff to do at least one activity a week to make positive changes at the workplace and in their personal lives. For starters, we are revealing our activities for Weeks 1 and 2 so keep posted for our favourite activities for Week 3 and 4!
Week 1: Mental Health
- Compliment a Colleague: Co-workers feel great when they’re recognized for a job well done. And you’ll feel great about making them feel good
- Play a game with co-workers: Play a game during your lunch break to exercise your mind
- No-screen Night: Turn off the television, video games, computers, smartphones and iPods. Read a book or go for a walk with a family member, friend or neighbour.
- Prioritize Your Resources: Priorities are always changing. Sometimes you may need to put personal and family needs first. At other times, work may take a front seat.
- Assess Your Accomplishment: Ask yourself, “What felt meaningful today?” Feeling pride in accomplishments can make you feel happier.
Week 2: Workplace Culture
- 5-Minute Desk Clean Up: Take five minutes to clean up the clutter around your workstation
- Massage Days: Run a program that offers relaxing in-chair massages. (Already have a massage therapist come in bi-weekly!)
- Workplace Walks: Walking and talking is a healthy pleasure on many levels and can be done all year long. (Just implemented a weekly walking and brainstorming group!)
- Desk Stretches for a Week: Practise workstation stretching each day. Focus on performing them regularly and completely so you have more energy at the end of the day.
- Lend Your Skills: Donate your skills to a charitable project that demonstrates community care and good corporate citizenship.
Thanks to Great-West Life for organizing this month and all of the ideas for healthy living. If you’d like more information about Canada’s Healthy Workplace Month, visit: http://healthyworkplacemonth.ca/en/